Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Getting a cat

The other day I came home from work and there was a cat near our stairs so I called it over to me so I could pet it. It was such a cute cat and it was really skinny so I gave it some of the chicken sandwich I had brought home work. I wanted to bring it home with me, but I knew better.

Okay, side tracking real quick. I have a funny story:

When I was a senior in high school I had this boyfriend in the Air Force. He was a very loving man and he treated me like a princess. I had expressed the fact that I wanted a cat (my dad hates cats and wouldn't let me have one), so one day he found this really cute kitten in the bushes and brought it back to his apartment for me. The cat was adorable and we named her Spazi. We had this cat for a few weeks and then we got RING WORM. My poor boyfriend had 60-70 spots on his body because he let the dang cat sleep with him. We had to rub athlete's foot medication on them (ring worm is the same kind of bacteria) and then my dad heard you can put bleach on the spots and it will kill the bacteria. Well, my family had gone camping and I had one on my upper lip so my dad bleached it. The smell of bleach is gross as it is but when it's right under your nose it's especially awful. We definitely learned our lesson: never bring home a stray animal without getting it checked out first.

So after I interacted with this cat I decided that I wanted to get a cat. I love cats. We had a cat when we lived in Texas, but we had to get rid of her. She would have never made the drive with the dogs and she doesn't do well with change and I just didn't want to put her through that. Thankfully she's with this really sweet old lady now and she's the queen of the house. Anyways, I asked J if we could get a new cat and he said yes!! We agreed that we're going to try to adopt a kitten from the pound. Now normally I would try to get a full grown cat because everyone wants kittens, but we want the cat to grow up with the dogs so it's not terrified of them. So hopefully in July (we need to get caught up on bills before we get another animal) I'll be getting a new kitty!!

No comments: