Sunday, November 30, 2008

Doormat

I have this friend, if you want to call her a friend. I feel this friend takes advantage of me.

Ok, so my friend's husband is in the Navy. He was deployed a few weeks before Justin was. They're stationed in VA, but she was staying down in Florida with her sister and that's how I met her because her sister was my next door neighbor. Well, she was down here for about a month and then her sister decided to up and leave and move to Hawaii with her husband (they were separated before that) without even telling anyone until the last minute. So my friend stayed with me a few days and then headed back up to VA, no big deal right?

Well, my friend has a man friend down here in Florida. She says that he's just a friend, but a long time ago they had an affair together. My friend still makes trips to Florida to come see her nephew because he's in a program down in Orlando until June and since his mom is in Hawaii, he has no one else. So when my friend comes to Florida she stays here and then drives down to Orlando on Sundays.

Well, she came through for one of these trips in October and she asked if she could stay with me and if I would watch her daughter when she went down to Orlando because she couldn't come (kids aren't allowed because of the type of program it is). I agreed, no big deal. I love her daughter and I was excited to have some company because I get bored down here. Well, they got down here Thursday night and she immediately dumps her kid on me and then goes and spends the night at this man's house. I was a little upset, but you know it was no big deal. Well then I had a meeting on Friday and she knew this and she almost didn't come back in time and we were almost late for our meeting. When I got home, she wasn't there and she didn't come back till late. She again drops her kid off and goes and spends the night at this man's house. By now, I'm a little more upset because she's not even taking a moment to visit with me, but there's still two more days, no big deal. On Saturday she drives to Orlando to go visit her nephew, but this man goes with her. I had cooked dinner that night and she comes back to my apartment two hours after they get back into town. By now I'm pissed because I went out of my way to cook, she knew I made dinner, and I felt like I was being walked all over. In my mind though, I was like "fine, whatever" because the weekend was almost over. But you can bet I'd never go out of my way for her again.

Fast forward to this weekend. Her, her mom, and her daughter are down here to spend Thanksgiving with this man. I was invited, but I feel hugely uncomfortable with the fact that she spends so much time with this man while her husband is away. But, me being me didn't want to tell her this and hurt her feelings so I faked a stomach illness. So yesterday she called me and they're going down to see her nephew. She kept hinting at the fact that she needed someone to watch her daughter, but I refused to volunteer. Tonight, I went shopping with them and of course she asked what I was doing tomorrow and then asked if I'd watch her daughter. I hate being put on the spot. My mind fumbled over an excuse and I didn't want to just flat out say no and hurt her daughter's feelings, especially since she was sitting right next to me in the car. So now, here I am again. I'm mad because I don't want to babysit. I'm in the middle of quitting smoking and I'm still going through my detox period, so I'm pretty cranky. I don't think I'll be able to handle her daughter and not get snippy. UGHHHH!!!!!

They're coming back through in December to go see her nephew and it's the weekend right before I leave to go home to Texas. I feel that I will resort to lying again (which I hate to do) and tell them I'm leaving early to go see the baby so I'm not roped into babysitting YET AGAIN!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ummm... You're being used. I definitely wouldn't stand for this. You call this girl your friend, but a friend is someone who spends time with you even when she doesn't need something from you. I've got plenty of male friends, but even when I was married, it would've been highly inappropriate of me to be spending weekends alone with them while my husband was away. HIGHLY INAPPROPRIATE! I get that you're not the judge and jury for anyone but yourself, but you also don't have to be an enabler for someone else's bad behavior either, especially when it makes you feel uncomfortable.

It doesn't sound like your "friend" is much of a friend at all...

proudnavywife1027 said...

This I know and that is why I try to avoid her at all costs. Unfortunately I'm horrible at being an adult and just ending the relationship....it's something I have to work on. I totally agree with you about it being inappropriate that she spends so much time alone with this man and that's why I will not watch her daughter ever again just so she can be over there