Thursday, November 20, 2008

Stupid Doctor

When I went to the doctor she brought me into her office to look at all my test results. She pulled them up on her computer screen and proceeded to go over everything. All of my insulin and glucose levels were normal, as were my thyroid (yeay we were worried i had a thyroid problem because it runs in my family) and anything else she could rule out. Knowing that she told me my best solution with dealing with PCOS is diet and exercise. That was all well and fine, I went prepared that she might tell me all the information she gave me. In fact I was excited that all I have to do is lose weight and I don't have to take any drugs.

Now brings me to the part of the appointment that pissed me off. I asked her how long do I need to wait to come in after DH comes home (he's deployed right now until April) to come back in if we're unsuccessful TTC). She told me that I would have to wait an entire year to come back in. I was confused, I explained to her we tried for a year and a half and I was told it didn't matter because me husband was gone and it had to be a consecutive year. By that point I was upset and I again explained we tried for a "consecutive" year and a half. So at this point she tells me that it didn't count because I didn't know that something was wrong at the time and I was doing nothing to prevent it. Ok, but still if you know I'm having infertility problems you're still going to make me wait a year? And then I explained to her that there is a history of infertility on my mom's side of the family, thinking that she would take that into consideration, but no. She then proceeds to tell me to have faith and to keep thinking positively and have more sex. AHH, by then I was fighting back tears. First off for not being able to have a child for almost three years I feel that I've been very positive with the situation. In fact I was very optimistic about my appointment this morning knowing that when I walked out of the doctor's today I would have a game plan. She also told me "it's not like you're 35, you're 22 and you have tons of time to try and have a baby." Well, personally I don't want to have to go through seven years of trying (that's how long it took my aunt to conceive her first child), and just because I'm young doesn't mean that it's going to be easy for me to get pregnant. AND there's no way I'm going to get a "consecutive" year of trying, which is what she wants. My DH is on a ship and they're NEVER home for a year solid. There's always little trips that last a couple weeks to a couple months that the take several times in between their deployments. So am I suppose to wait until DH gets out of the Navy? I don't think so!! But I do have a game plan. I'm going to do the whole diet and exercise thing and right before DH comes home I'm going to get off the BCP. I will give it six months and if we're not pregnant I will then switch doctor's and TRY to get a referral. I'm not waiting a year especially knowing that I've been having problems for so long, ya know?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You need to get a second opinion and I wouldn't wait. This doctor is a QUACK.

Seriously.

Your age has NOTHING to do with this.

DEMAND A SECOND OPINION!

I can't believe your doctor would tell you this... You have PCOS. Your doctor knows this and also knows that you've tried unsuccessfully to have a baby for over a year. If this doesn't warrant medical intervention, then I don't know what does. This is BS.

PCOS can often mean an issue with ovulation. Dude, if you aren't ovulating you aren't going to get pregnant! You might need Clomid. I have PCOS and I was Oing, but my O was always really screwed up each month...My cycle varied from like 28-42 days! So timing BD was nearly impossible because I couldn't predict my O... I needed Clomid to help regulate my O.

GET A SECOND OPINION. I wouldn't wait on it either.